Thursday, May 16, 2013

Safe and Sound

Hei Hei blog readers,
     I am safe and sound in the beautiful city of Helsinki.  All is well.  DIA was a breeze, minus the whole getting there part.  It is not labeled very well for drop off, if you would like more elaboration on that, talk to my mother.  I was able to exchange some cash for euros in DIA, the Airport people are very helpful and nice.  I enjoy the airport experience.
     My flight to Minneapolis encountered no problems, it took about two hours and nothing eventful happened.  I'm a little disappointed in myself that I didn't chat more.  I might come across as a very confident outgoing person but I really have a hard time starting and maintaing a conversation.  Bring on the awkward silences.  Even if I would have busted out the courage, the two ladies I sat inbetween were not chatters themselves, I think they both were nervous flyers and wanted to sleep.  Once I got into Minneapolis I didn't stay long.  By the time I walked to my next gate I immediately got in line to board.  I'm glad I wasn't any later.
     The second leg of the trip was the longest, seven hours and about twenty minutes.  My seat was in the way way back corner.  I sat next to a guy about my age, maybe a little older, from Greece, we talked minimally and from that and his very heavy, very cool accent, he travels a lot for his job which is something to do with oil.  It was night for majority of the flight so I tried to sleep but as anyone who flies knows, it isn't very comfortable.  We also experience some pretty rough turbulence when we were over the Atlantic.  Not going to lie--I said some Hail Marys.  Other than that, the food was good, the movies were good and the flight attendants were nice.  Oh! Don't let me forget to mention the hot towels, they really are as nice as everyone says they are.  What a great service!
   Overcast, drizzly clouds greeted us as we arrived in Amsterdam this morning.  My layover was long enough for me to dink around in the Schiphol Airport and still have lots of extra time.  It is a very chic airport.  I was impressed with how modern and well chic it was.  I ended up buying another converter for my plug ins because the one from Walmart had fine print on the back that said it was not intended for Laptops, Phones or Cameras, the three very things I need to charge.  So I just went to the electronic store and got myself another, better one.
    During my navigations through these airports I have come to realize the importance of being able to read.  Literacy is brilliant thing and I really question how any society could function without competent readers.  It is actually quite impressive that humans have created such an intricate symbol system.  It is important to be able to decode these symbols in life in order to find your place.
    The final plane leg of my trip was lovely.  From Amsterdam to Helsinki we were on KLM, which is a dutch company and I must say, I like the dutch.  They are pretty, kind and I like their language.  For this one I sat next to a lady to slept the entire way and a guy, roughly my age from Amsterdam who was going to Helsinki to visit his girlfriend.  I'm regretting that I did not talk to him more because he sounded very interesting.  We talked for about the last twenty minutes of the flight.  I should have talked to him more in the beginning.  He is studying law in Scotland.  Anyway I cannot regret it too much because the time that  I was not talking to him I was sleeping.  I conked out.  The little nap was very much needed.
     My bag arrived safely too.  No lost luggage--phew!  I didn't have a solid plan of how to get from the airport to my hostel which was a little stressing but never fear I have a strategy for that.  Find someone that looks like they know what they are doing and do what they are doing.  Two gentlemen from Canada or England sat in front of me on the flight and between following them and reading my map and looking at the bus time table I managed to get on the bus, get off the bus at the correct bus stop and walk to my Hostel.   My feet only led me in the wrong direction twice and neither time was cause for major panic.  I was able to catch and correct them before I ended up in a back alley.
     For never staying in a Hostel before, I have no expectations, therefore no let downs.  This one is clean and hip.  Artsy graffiti decorate the walls as big windows let the light shine in.  I like it.  Once I checked in I changed my clothes and then went exploring.  There are lots of little parks scattered all through this area.  I found a bench and reviewed my city map to tentatively plan my adventure for tomorrow.  From my observations, everyone exercises.  I saw many, many, many people jogging or walking or biking or skateboarding or playing soccer.   The Finns must be a very active people.  They are also very kind.  So far they all speak English, which is a lifesaver.
     It is nearly 10:30pm here and they sun is just barely setting over the horizon.  It not a lie that this is the land of the eternal sun.  I love it! It was such a pleasure to walk around at 9o'clock a night and there was still lots and lots of sunlight, no creepy, shadowy feelings.  If there is more daylight, that means there is more opportunity to do things!
     My adventure is only beginning.  Until next time, bye bye.
McCall







   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let(ter) it begin

Let(ter) it begin
Letter of Acceptance