Monday, May 6, 2013

Let's Talk About School

Hyvää Iltapäivää,
Good Afternoon,

It is getting closer.  I have 9 days, 23 hours, and 25 minutes until I begin my journey.


I started finals this morning with my Marketing test.  Tomorrow is Global Textiles, Thursday is Organizational Management and Friday is Principles of Nutrition.  After that it will be the official start of summer break! While most students savor summer because there is no school, no classes and freedom, I will be enrolled in summer school.  I usually enjoy summer for the lack of a school schedule but for the opportunity to be in Finland, I'll tolerate classes.
The classes that I'll be taking at the University of Jyväskylä are:
         May 20-24 Finnish Language and Culture
         May 27-31 Emotions and Athletic Performance
         June 3-7     Social Networks and Interpersonal Relations in a Multicultural World
         June 10-14 Basics of Argumentation and Rhetoric
Finland's education system is one of the top systems in the world.  Finland also has a 100% literacy rate.  I'm excited to partake in a top notch education system.  I'm hoping to learn about the content in theses classes but also the approach to presenting the information.  I would like to learn what makes it such an excellent system.  The method of teaching/learning would be really great to bring back and somehow apply to classes here.
For the most part I will be in class all day from 9am to 3pm or 4pm with a lunch break in the middle.  These classes will probably be pretty intensive but they are only a week long so it is a lot of content to cover in a short time.  There are course descriptions on this website if you would like to look more depth into my summer classes.  https://www.jyu.fi/en/study/programmes/summerschool/courses
I paid for 9 credit hours at the summer school tuition rate at the University of Wyoming.  It will depend on my syllabi when I return to determine how many credits I will actually receive.  It could be more than 9, less than 9 or more than 9.  It all just depends.

Wish me luck on the rest of my finals!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let(ter) it begin

Let(ter) it begin
Letter of Acceptance